Birthday: October 4
Hometown: Littleton, Colorado
Where You’ve Seen Her: This beautiful brunette is an actress and singer who has made guest appearances on Law and Order (Criminal Intent and SVU), The Good Wife, and Homeland. But her breakout role came in the fourth season of Glee, where she plays newcomer Marley Rose. Catch the show’s season finale tonight on Fox.
After lengthy negotiations, Fox‘s musical dramedy Glee has been picked up for next season. And the season after that. The network has given a two-year renewal to the series for Seasons 5 and 6. The negotiations took longer because the network starts footing the bill after Season 4. Given the complications of the talks, a two-year pickup is common practice so the network won’t have to do it again next year. Even if Glee‘s ratings continue to slip, the dramedy has an off-network syndication deal with Oxygen, which makes a longer run attractive for Fox sibling 20th TV, the studio that produces Glee with Ryan Murphy TV. Glee now joins veteran Bones, freshman drama The Following and comedies New Girl, The Mindy Project and Raising Hope, which all have been renewed for next season.
“Glee debuted as the first and only successful musical comedy series on television, and more than four years later, it continues to defy genres, break new ground and have a significant impact on popular culture,” said Fox chairman Kevin Reilly. Added 20th TV chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman, “Ryan, Brad, Ian and Dante have created something that is far larger than a television show; it’s a global entertainment brand which continues to touch millions around the world.” Glee was created by Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, who executive produce the series with Dante Di Loreto.
While off the ratings heights from its early run, Glee still performs respectably, especially when DVR viewing is factored in. The dramedy is averaging a 3.6/10 among adults 18-49 and 8.7 million total viewers this season. Last month, Glee marked its 500th performance. The show has spawned more than 53 million tracks digitally downloaded and more than 13 million albums sold worldwide.
Emmy award-winning consumer tech journalist Jennifer Jolly interviews Glee cast members Kevin McHale and Melissa Benoist in the Roku Streaming Lounge at SXSW 2013!
Emma Bunton went behind-the-scenes of TV’s most musical show for ‘I Heart Glee’ – see her meeting Melissa Benoist and getting the low-down on being Glee’s new star right here.
Glee hits its 500th musical performance Thursday (9:30/8:30c on Fox), so in honor of that milestone, we decided to make a big production over New Directions’ new powerhouse Melissa Benoist, 24. If you think her Marley Rose is a sweetheart, that’s nothing compared to the delightful Colorado native who plays her.
1. She’s got chops and charm. Called a “ravishing, golden-throated, raven-haired beauty” by none other than Sue (Jane Lynch), transfer student Marley shares an undeniable likability with Benoist. It’s no wonder the character has Jake (Jacob Artist) and Ryder (Blake Jenner) swooning over her. “I wish it was like that in real life,” Benoist says with a laugh.
2. She’s persistent. Even though she was living in New York at the time, Benoist endured round after round of tryouts in L.A. “After, like, seven auditions, it happened,” she says.
3. She rocks. Ditties by Regina Spektor, Colbie Caillat and Glee alum Idina Menzel were among her audition songs, and Benoist also wanted to do something by the Talking Heads. “But that would have been too weird!”
4. She loves her on-screen mom. “Trish [Rae Stahl] is an amazing person,” she raves of the actress who plays much-mocked lunch lady Millie. “That sweetness you see? That’s real.”
5. She gives her costars props. Benoist praises fellow new cast members Artist and Becca Tobin (who plays Kitty) for helping ease her fears when she joined the show. “It would have been very different had they not been there,” she says. “I’m so grateful.”
Melissa was featured in the recent issue of TV Guide (February 25 – March 10, 2013) and Kelly was kind enough to donate a scan from the magazine. Take a read of the feature on our gallery.
- Magazine Scans > 2013 > TV Guide – February 25
I have added 200 high-res captures of Melissa from her appearance on “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” (aired February 19). Another entertaining interview and she looks gorgeous as usual.
- Talk Show Appearances > The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (February 19, 2013)
Thanks to Screencapped for the caps.
- Glee (2012 – ) > Season 4 (2012-2013) > Episode Stills > 4×14 – I Do
- Glee (2012 – ) > Season 4 (2012-2013) > Episode Stills > 4×15 – Girls (And Boys) On Film
- Glee (2012 – ) > Season 4 (2012-2013) > Episode Screencaps > 4×12 – Naked
- Glee (2012 – ) > Season 4 (2012-2013) > Episode Screencaps > 4×13 – Diva
- Glee (2012 – ) > Season 4 (2012-2013) > Episode Screencaps > 4×14 – I Do